By investing in modern tracking technologies, you can enhance asset visibility, streamline equipment tracking, adhere to maintenance protocols, and maximize the lifespan of mission-critical assets. There are many robust equipment tracking software systems on the market, each of which with its own benefits, such as:
- Asset Panda
- SAP EAM
- IBM Maximo
- …and more
We’ll review some of the leading equipment tracking software systems later in this article, but first, let’s discuss what equipment tracking software is and how your business can benefit from it.
What is Equipment Tracking Software?
Equipment tracking software enables businesses to manage and track assets such as equipment, tools, and supplies. Equipment tracking software can be used for:
- Managing maintenance activities
- Facilitating work orders for repairs
- Allocating equipment and other resources to various job sites
- Tracking depreciation and other data for tax and reporting purposes
- Analyzing equipment data
- Ensure you have adequate inventory on hand at all times
For example, companies that maintain robust records of their equipment’s complete operations, maintenance, and repair history can analyze the costs of maintaining equipment over time, comparing various equipment models to inform future buying decisions or to determine whether a piece of equipment should be repaired or replaced based on its history and remaining expected lifespan.
Typically, equipment and other assets are tagged with barcode labels, which integrate with the software to provide reliable equipment tracking and streamline documentation processes. It’s crucial to choose durable barcode labels and asset tags that can withstand the equipment’s typical operating conditions and remain readable throughout the lifespan of your assets.
For instance, if you’re tagging equipment that’s used outdoors, you’ll want asset tags and equipment ID labels that can resist UV rays, rain, and other outdoor elements, such as Metalphoto® anodized aluminum asset tags, which can withstand extreme conditions like heat, humidity, salt spray, abrasion, solvents, chemicals, and more, offering an expected exterior lifespan of more than 20 years. Other options include polycarbonate, polyester, vinyl, anodized aluminum, and other materials designed for a variety of use cases. With the right equipment labels paired with your equipment tracking software, you can easily track your equipment throughout their full lifespan and maximize the value of your assets.
25 Leading Equipment Tracking Software Solutions
We’ve rounded up 25 of the most comprehensive equipment tracking software solutions available today based on features, ease of use, integrations, and other considerations. Our list includes affordable yet highly functional equipment tracking software suitable for businesses of all sizes, including SMBs, as well as enterprise-ready equipment tracking software suites. Below, we’ll provide a brief overview, highlight key features, and discuss pricing information of the 25 best equipment tracking software systems (in no particular order).
UpKeep is a comprehensive computerized maintenance management solution (CMMS) that can be used to track tools, manage assets, create maintenance schedules, and much more. The technology’s intuitive mobile app works seamlessly in the field and can integrate with your existing technology suites.
- Integrations with popular ERPs
- Support for edge computing devices and sensors
- A mobile-friendly user interface
- Community: Free with basic features
- Starter: $45 per month per user with limited features
- Professional: $75 per month per user with features for mid-sized companies
- Business Plus: $120 per month per user with access to all features
ToolWorks is an inventory management system that can support businesses with multiple facilities. A key feature is integrated artificial intelligence that allows it to scan and identify assets without the need for barcodes. ToolWorks has a tier-based pricing model based on the number of assets under management.
- Real-time alerts
- Mobile and desktop friendly
- Offers comprehensive inventory management
- Pro: $25 per month or more
- Enterprise: $35 per month or more
ToolWatch has been a well-established developer in the equipment tracking software space for nearly three decades, and its robust operations management solution can meet the needs of office and warehouse environments. With ToolWatch, you can track equipment, schedule service, and maintain an up-to-the-minute inventory of all assets across all locations.
- Unlimited Access subscription plan
- Location and quantity tracking tools
- All assets are assigned unique IDs
Cost: Contact for a quote
ToolHound is an equipment and tool tracking software that is available via a cloud-based deployment or as an on-premises solution. It features ToolHound SecureCrib, an automated RFID and barcode kiosk that employees can use to sign equipment in and out.
- Monitor equipment certifications for employees
- Disburse equipment through self-service kiosk
- Supports RFIDs and barcodes
Cost: Contact ToolHound for a customized quote. There may be discounts available for larger organizations.
Sortly is a simple, easy-to-implement inventory management solution on our list of the best equipment tracking software. It is compatible with barcodes and QR codes. It also allows you to create custom alerts and receive notifications of equipment status changes or inventory levels.
- Auto generates PDF reports
- Allows you to create customized user permissions
- Compatible with Bluetooth and traditional scanners
- Advanced: $25-$49 per month for three users
- Ultra: $59-$119 per month for up to five users with unlimited entries
- Enterprise: Contact for a quote
Aptien creates a centralized database of all of your assets, allowing you to ditch antiquated spreadsheets and other tedious tracking tools. The platform also provides optimization and workforce management tools, which can be used to enhance overall operational efficiency.
- Maintenance scheduling tools
- Can store documents and images
- Provides contract management capabilities
- Free: A single user can access up to 100MB of data storage
- Team: $6 per month per user for up to ten staff members
- Company: $11 per month for as many as 300 users
- Enterprise: Contact Aptien for a quote
7. Asset Essentials
Asset Essentials is a cloud-based, all-in-one CMMS that optimizes equipment and tool management workflows for businesses in any industry, from manufacturing to education, government, and more, to track and manage everything from infrastructure assets to facility systems like plumbing and HVAC. Asset Essentials also includes a mobile app that provides technicians with critical asset data at the touch of a button.
- GIS equipment management
- Cost-tracking tools
- Provides the ability to create asset work orders
Cost: Contact Dude Solutions for a quote
8. Asset Panda
Asset Panda’s core value proposition is its user-friendly design. It’s a simple but functional mobile app that comes with all the tools you need to oversee your assets. With Asset Panda, you can track large pieces of industrial equipment, small hand tools, and everything in between.
- Built-in barcode scanner
- Customizable notifications
- Creates detailed audit trails
Cost: $125 per month for as many as 500 assets. Contact Asset Panda for a direct quote if you need to oversee more than 500 assets.
Created by Wasp Barcode, AssetCloud is an all-in-one asset tracking system with a unique check-out and check-in process that’s designed to integrate with Wasp Barcode hardware. This software suite can be used to track IT assets, specialized equipment, and industrial tools or hardware.
- Regulatory compliance tools
- Capital management software
- A user-friendly interface
- AssetCloud Complete: $995 per year
- AssetCloudOP Basic: $1,795 one-time fee for on-premises deployment
- AssetCloudOP Complete: $6,995 one-time fee for on-premises deployment and access to all features
AssetTiger is a cloud-based option that’s fully compatible with many different types of barcode scanners and has support for both iOS and Android devices. It can create custom reports and compile critical preventive maintenance data.
- Customizable email alters
- PM scheduling
- In-app or hardware-based barcode scanning
- Free: Up to 250 assets
- ATS-500 Plan: $100 annually for as many as 500 assets
- ATS-2500 Plan: $200 annually for as many as 2500 assets
- Additional plans available
ShareMyToolbox is an equipment and tool tracking system that was purpose-built for contractors. Its mobile app allows contractors to track loaned tools, see what they have in inventory, and more. Users can also upload and manage documents and images.
- Free two-week trial
- Mobile app
- Insurance and valuation reporting tools
- Base: $50 per month for a single user
- Additional Users: $50 per month for five additional users
12. SAP EAM
SAP EAM was designed for enterprise businesses and complements the well-known developer’s extensive software library. It includes predictive analytics, machine learning tools, and Internet of Things (IoT) connectivity. SAP EAM is an ideal solution for enterprises that are already using other SAP software.
- Mobile tools
- Comprehensive asset transparency
- Integration with other SAP software
Cost: Contact SAP for a quote
Developed by Hilti, ON!Track is an asset management and tool-tracking platform that’s designed for enterprises and mid-sized businesses with a strong growth trajectory. The technology is equipped with tools for tracking overhead expenses, generating reports, and monitoring maintenance schedules. It’s important to note, however, that its pricing and features are not an ideal fit for small businesses.
- Cost management tools
- Safety management features
- Asset and tool-tracking capabilities
Cost: Contact for a quote
MicroMain falls into the category of enterprise-grade equipment tracking software systems. Its core feature is its work-order management interface. This tab allows you to schedule and monitor the status of all equipment work across your entire organization. It also facilitates the computerized management of the asset lifecycle and can extend the service life of core equipment.
- Barcode and QR-code compatible
- Industry 4.0 ready
- Offers workforce tracking tools
Cost: Contact MicroMain for a quote
If SAP EAM has a direct competitor, IBM Maximo is it. IBM Maximo incorporates intelligent asset management software into a user-friendly interface. It combines robust APM, EAM, and CMMS capabilities to provide enterprises with one of the most powerful all-in-one solutions on the market.
- Mobile access
- Predictive maintenance tools
- AI-powered equipment monitoring
Cost: Contact IBM for a quote
Cheqroom is designed to maximize asset visibility and improve monitoring accuracy across your company. The platform is simple, easy to deploy, and even easier to use. You can create custom notifications, identify which equipment needs maintenance, and ensure that your team never misses a PM. The company also has customizable plans for each cost tier should you need to track more than 500 assets.
- Geolocation tools
- Barcode-scanning capabilities
- Fully functional mobile app
- Essentials: $100 per month for up to 500 assets
- Standard: $200 per month for as many as 500 assets
- Plus: $300 per month for up to 500 assets
- Enterprise: Contact for a quote
17. Dematic Sprocket
Dematic Sprocket is a great solution for managing asset lifecycle from deployment to decommissioning. It has preloaded templates for facility plans and commonly used industrial assets.
- Easy-to-use dashboard
- PM scheduling tools
- Workflow management features
Cost: Contact Dematic Global for a quote
EZOfficeInventory is one of the most well-known equipment tracking solutions available. It has become quite popular thanks to its simplified workflow management interface and comprehensive tool logs. The platform allows you to set custom permissions and tailor your interface so that you can prioritize data that is most relevant to your business goals.
- Metrics and reporting tools
- Customizable asset labels
- Customizable permissions
- Essential: $35 to $40 per month with unlimited users and up to 250 assets
- Advanced: $45 to $52 per month with unlimited users and up to 250 assets
- Premium: $50 to $60 per month with unlimited users and up to 250 assets
- Enterprise: Contact for a custom quote
Fishbowl is an asset-tracking platform that is highly scalable. It has several different software versions, each of which is designed for a specific industry. Choose between an on-premises deployment and a cloud-based alternative known as Fishbowl Online.
- Easily integrates with popular manufacturing software
- Supports multiple facilities
- Lot and serial number tracking
Cost: Contact the developer for a quote
20. Fracttal One
Fracttal One is another EAM/CMMS combination platform. As such, it allows you to store all tool data in a centralized platform. It has several different interface views, provides you with tons of useful tools, and makes it easy to customize your experience.
- Offers extensive customization
- Multiple viewing modes
- Includes a Kanban management board
- Community: Free for up to two users
- Basic: $195 per month for up to five users
- Business: $485 per month for up to ten users
- Corporate: Contact for a quote
Developed by iOFFICE, ManagerPlus is designed to organize your PM schedule and optimize asset lifecycles. The cloud-based platform is compatible with virtually any device and is highly responsive. ManagerPlus’s higher tier subscription allows you to add an unlimited number of locations or worksites, making it a very cost-effective solution when managing multiple facilities.
- Open API
- Dynamic mobile app
- Real-time asset status updates
- Lightning Plus: $85 per month per user
- Lightning Experience: $125 per month per user
IntelliTrack has straightforward pricing and everything you need to manage assets, inventory, mailroom procedures, and more. It is easy to navigate, simple to deploy, and effective. It has a seamless asset check-in/check-out process so that your team can get the resources they need to accomplish their daily responsibilities.
- Chain of custody
- Rapid inventory management process
- Easy to navigate
Cost: $75 per user per month
GoCodes is a cloud-based tracking platform that includes integrated QR codes and smartphone scanning software. Your staff can access GoCodes from any smartphone or compatible device, making it great for managers and those in the field. The platform can be scaled to meet the needs of any organization.
- iOS and Android compatible
- Unique QR code tags
- Tracks asset location with Google Maps
- Standard: $450 per year for up to three users and 200 assets
- Premium: $75 per month for up to five users and 500 assets
- Premium Elite: $138 per month for up to ten users and 1000 assets
- Professional: $200 per month for up to 20 users and 2000 assets
- Enterprise: Contact for a quote
Geoforce is a combination equipment-and-fleet-tracking solution for tracing, tracking, and monitoring assets that are on-premises or in the field. It can be used to track vehicles, powered equipment, and stationary hardware that remains on-site.
- Mobile app
- Engine run-time monitoring
- Easily integrated with hardware like GPSs and ELDs
Cost: Contact for a quote
GigaTrak specializes in creating software and hardware for equipment-heavy organizations and contractors. The company’s software can be used to manage costs, schedule maintenance, track equipment usage, and increase asset transparency.
- Barcode scanning in-app
- Cloud-based or on-premises solutions available
- Facilitates audit management
- Self-Hosted: $2,495 one-time fee
- Cloud-Based: $75 per month per user
That rounds out our list of the 25 best equipment tracking software systems. By familiarizing yourself with these top options, such as UpKeep, Fracttal One, IntelliTrack and more, you can find the solution that most aligns with your organizational needs.