How can one provide aid when a worker falls or comes in contact with hazardous chemicals? Could you prevent the next employee from falling with one simple app? Find the answers and more as you learn about these handy workplace safety apps.
We have hand curated some of the best workplace safety apps available today for iOS and Android operating systems. Many are free or only .99 cents. Here they are, in no particular order.
#1 First Aid App
The official First Aid App by the American Red Cross puts expert information in the palm of your hand. Easy-to-digest step-by-step instruction lets workers and managers quickly and efficiently address an array of mishaps, accidents, and serious injuries.
- Use in English or Spanish
- Integrated with 911
- Assisted video learning
#2 Heat Safety Tool
Workers and supervisors calculate weather conditions and make educated decisions using OSHA’s Heat Safety Tool. The app will compute health risk levels; prompt users on wearing and using protective gear; remind workers to take breaks, drink water, etc. It’s an all-in-one guide for all industries and related tasks.
- Calculate the heat index of work area
- Provides heat illness signs and symptoms
- Displays warnings of possible threats for workers
#3 Ladder Safety App
Many ladder-related accidents are preventable. Aside from taking risks and lacking spotters, workers may wrongly angle ladders, which leads to injury and health hazards. The Ladder Safety app uses visual and sound signals to position the ladder in the safest position.
- 508 compliant
- Suited with multimodal indicator
- Offers interactive reference material
#4 Ergonomic App
For many workers, the day offers limited or no field work, yet, ironically, sitting for long periods poses health risks. The Ergonomics app is replete with equipment advice, workplace specific stretch exercises, and prompts that remind users to take breaks. Stretches feature original illustrations and succinct instruction.
- Provides workplace specific exercises
- Features original illustrations
- Includes countdown timer
#5 iAuditor Checklist
iAuditor is used by thousands of inspection workers each day all across the globe. Users build forms according to industry. The automatic sync feature allows managers to self-audit teams in real time as data loads to office computers. Use the checklist to manage risk and avoid costly penalties and violations.
- Customize reports
- Drag and drop interface
- Export preferred report format
#6 Sling Calculator
How can you aid in avoiding catastrophe? Through methodical calculation. The Sling Calculator avoids mishaps by helping to select rigging while considering the shape of the load. Sling tension measurements can be determined and sent via a PDF to cohorts and managers for confirmation and redirection.
- Specify desired unit of measurement
- Compute volume and weight to avoid hazards
- Choose among one of four bridle configurations
#7 Noise Sniffer
The Noise Sniffer is not multi-functional. It’s a simple tool with one mission: save workers from dangerous noise levels. Once a user hits start, the app measures noise levels in the immediate area and provides a decibel readout. Levels above 60 db are considered very to extremely loud and necessitate resolution.
- Features start/stop button
- Calculate the decibel level of immediate area
- Warns of potentially hazardous noise levels
#8 Chemical Hazards Pocket Guide
The Chemical Hazards Pocket Guide helps first responders identify and protect others in the wake of a chemical-related accident. Each chemical is aligned with its aliases and trade names along with a physical description and advising whether it’s dangerous to inhale, if it’s flammable, etc.
- Provides concise industrial hygiene information
- Helps first responders provide aid
- Provides offline access
Not Available on Google Play
#9 Fatigue Predictor
The app uses the Individual Fatigue Likelihood Score (IFLS) to determine whether workers are at risk for mild to severe fatigue. The calculator helps managers and directors flag particular employees for specific duties or to dismiss them from immediate work. The Fatigue Predictor is incredibly useful for those managing a large number of remote workers.
- Calculate safety risk per worker
- Adjust calculations to FRMS business rules
- Email data
Not Available on Google Play
#10 Master Lock Field ID
Get instant access to inspection and safety compliance resources. The cloud-based inspection software makes it easy for safety professionals and proactive managers to stay on top of safety issues at each site. Additionally, users track assets such as cranes, slings, and harnesses with Master Lock Field ID.
- Access compliance information in the field from the cloud
- Record inspections and audits
- Manage upcoming inspections
#11 Safety Compass
The compass leverages augmented reality to relay information about potentially hazardous conditions and materials out in the field. Rather than bulky and lengthy physical manuals, workers and managers access the Safety Compass with ease. Tailor the safety compass to comply with your workplace and conditions
- Remotely add hazard tags
- Use camera to relay visual information
- Provides integral safety informations straight to worker’s phone
#12 Super Bright Flashlight
The Super Bright Flashlight app makes a worker’s phone into a powerful source of light. This is an app that is not likely to get a lot of use in the field, since workers are equipped with tools. However, it’s incredibly convenient, and in worst cases, can save a worker from a serious injury in dire situations.
- Use on/off switch
- Use strobe/blinking mode to signal emergency
- Leverage app when flashlight is unavailable or forgotten
#13 Work Safe Pays
Of course, workers know safety is expected, yet the Work Safe Pays app makes doing a good job rewarding, as managers recognize periods without a mishap. The bingo-like layout educates and rewards workers for exceptional diligence.
- Deliver fun, educational messages to workers
- Build rapport with remote workers
- Keep workers reminded of the importance of safety
Not Available on iTunes
#14 Incident Cost Calculator
Do you have an idea of how much a workplace accident can cost? Using sample information from a range of industries, the Incident Cost Calculator estimates the impact particular injuries have on the company’s bottom line.
- Choose from industry or custom variables
- Equipped with help videos
- Offers multiple cost categories
#15 Hazard Scout
Hazard Scout is popular with managers because it allows for streamlined reporting. Managers write reports, add pictures and videos, and take notes while in the field. Help resolve past and present issues and avoid future violations and obstructions to workflow. Get trends, graphs, and summary reports.
- Receive push notifications
- Scan QR codes for personnel and equipment
- Submit reports offline
- Get on iTunes
- Get on Google Play
- Browse all MPC Products
- Take Our 50 Question Industrial Safety Quiz
- Request a sample of our Products
Read More from Metalphoto of Cincinnati: