Engineering is a thriving field, with a projected blistering 6% growth rate in jobs from 2020 to 2030. This critical industry is essential for civil infrastructure, product design, electronics, and everything else in our society that moves humanity forward. However, the industry is always changing, and it’s a good idea to stay on the bleeding edge of engineering to keep your skills sharp. We’ve curated this list to give you access to the latest trends, best practices, and insights from industry-leading engineering blogs such as:
- Engineering & Technology
- Electrical Engineering Portal
- Engineered Systems
- Engineering Choice
- ICI Electrical Engineering
- IEEE Spectrum
- Interesting Engineering
- Machine Design
- NIST Manufacturing Innovation
- …and dozens of others
In creating this list, we looked for engineering blogs offering a variety of perspectives and those that are updated regularly and have been updated recently. We gave priority to engineering blogs that offer a breadth and depth of expertise and those affiliated with reputable organizations and industry-recognized publications. You’ll find information on the engineering design process, in-depth information on engineering design best practices, reviews of engineering software solutions, information on manufacturing design principles, and much more.
We’ve also included engineering websites offering content in a variety of formats, such as videos and podcasts, as well as those that provide valuable information such as upcoming conferences, continuing education opportunities, and other professional engineering resources. Finally, you’ll also find a few engineering blogs that are more educational for aspiring engineers and students. Even the most experienced engineers never stop learning, so professionals might find content of interest from these blogs as well.
The Top 50 Engineering Blogs You Should Follow
Check out these top 50 engineering blogs to learn about the latest innovations, work processes, and regulations for engineering professionals. The engineering blogs below are listed in alphabetical order but otherwise aren’t ranked or rated in any way.
1. All About Circuits
From industry articles to video lectures and worksheets, All About Circuits is a remarkable free resource for any engineer. Consult this blog to learn about applications ranging from IoT, automotive, medical, and even neural networks.
Three key articles from All About Circuits:
- “Wi-Fi Sensors” Help Robots Map Their Indoor Environment
- What is Machine Learning? An Intro to ML Basics
- Flexible Sensor Prototype to Discretely Monitor the Inside of Pipes
Arrow’s blog provides guidance for engineers interested in next-generation technologies. Aside from its blogs and articles, Arrow has different types of resources, too. Check out their video series for the latest news on all things IoT, tech, 5G, and more.
Three key articles from Arrow:
- Secure your next design with Microchip Technology
- New RF transceivers from Analog Devices bring big benefits to military and defense applications
- A guide to design security for industrial devices
3. ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers)
ASME provides a resource hub that’s chock full of articles about mechanical engineering. Check out ASME’s blog to learn more about energy use, test your knowledge with quizzes, and learn about the latest innovations in the field of mechanical engineering.
Three key articles from ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) :
- Handheld Device May Help Stop Fatal Blood Loss
- Racing Toward 3-D Printed Electric Motors
- Quiz: What Do You Know About Engineering Education?
Do you work in the automotive engineering space? If so, Assembly is a valuable blog that showcases the latest innovations in batteries, auto manufacturing, and more. Registration is required to read Assembly’s resources, which are all available for free.
Three key articles from Assembly:
- Research Project Hopes to Increase Student Knowledge of Laser Plastic Welding
- Assembling EV Motors With Adhesive
- Making Sense of Battery Management System Sensors
CNCzone is a resource hub for over 500,000 manufacturers and engineers. In addition to its helpful discussion forum, CNCzone also provides behind-the-scenes guides webinars, events, and reviews on all things CNC. The blog is hosted on CNCzone’s sister site IndustryArena.com, but links and introductions to articles are easily located in the site’s Global Timeline.
Three key articles from CNCzone/Industry Arena:
- Philipp Dahlhaus about PCD
- 5 facts about T-Rex CNC milling machine
- 【AXILE technology】 Benefits of automated production in the manufacturing sector.
6. COMSOL Blog
Do you use COMSOL in your work? The company’s valuable blog outlines how engineers can get more mileage out of COMSOL, as well as other fun topics related to science, CAD, and physics.
Three key articles from COMSOL Blog:
- Offline Synchronization for the LiveLink™ for CAD Products
- The Science Behind Plant-Based Foods
- Analyzing Thermal Distribution in a Li-Ion Battery Pack
7. Control Engineering
Control Engineering’s blog hits on various engineering-related topics, from manufacturing to IoT to control systems. You’ll find a variety of in-depth articles and insightful analyses to learn more about dedicated control systems, Industry 4.0, process manufacturing, system integration, and more.
Three key articles from Control Engineering:
- AI used to control process manufacturing operations
- How digital twins, IIoT technologies benefit operations
- Layered COVID-19 controls significantly reduce risks
8. Daily Designs
Project engineers can get a lot of valuable information from Daily Designs, a blog run by NSPE. Although the blog functions as a resource hub, it’s a valuable place to find curated news on engineering projects around the globe.
Three key articles from Daily Designs:
- University of Texas at Dallas breaks ground on new 12-acre cultural district
- Outsmarting Disaster: AI Predicts Earthquakes, Fires, Floods
- All-Wood Construction in Sweden Is Sustainable, High-Tech
9. E&T (Engineering and Technology)
The IET blog covers topics ranging from 3D printing to energy conservation to medical technology. Visit this blog to learn about the latest big ideas fueling the imaginations of engineers and the public at large.
Three key articles from E&T (Engineering and Technology):
- Nuclear waste energy could power the US for a century, scientist says
- Modular construction technique slashes carbon emissions from new buildings
- Woman receives ‘revolutionary’ transplant of 3D-printed ear
10. EC&M (Electrical Construction and Maintenance)
EC&M provides essential information for electrical engineers and construction workers. Check out their blog for special reports, webinars, guides, and opinion pieces.
Three key articles from EC&M (Electrical Construction and Maintenance):
- No One Is Coming to Save Us
- How to Develop a Living and Breathing Electrical Safety Plan
- Ground-Fault Protection and Grounding Basics
11. Edison Electric Institute
Edison Electric Institute (EEI) is an organization for investor-owned electric companies. It’s a valuable resource for members to learn about public policy, compliance, and industry data.
Three key articles from Edison Electric Institute:
- Prepare Now for Hurricanes and Wildfires
- Charged Up and Truckin’ (Electric Perspectives Magazine, Digital Edition)
- SoCalGas Begins Assembling Hydrogen Home
12. EE Times
Electronic Engineering Times provides valuable blogs that go in-depth on the latest innovations in consumer electronics. Learn about microchip technology, battery innovations, and other cutting-edge changes coming to the world of engineering.
Three key articles from EE Times:
- Waymo vs. Cruise: More Robotaxi Data
- Triple-Junction Solar Cell hits 39.5% Efficiency
- Zinc Technology for Energy Storage
Aside from its phenomenal forum and community section, EEWeb also provides resources for electrical engineers. If you’re a hardware designer, you’ll love their blogs on QC, robotics, and more.
Three key articles from EEWeb:
- PWM Cooling-FAN Controller and Over Temperature Protection using LM35 and ATTiny13
- Electronics for Kids: Part 3 — Electrical Measurements
- Robots in Quality Control Offer Desirable Benefits
14. Electrical Contractor
Professionals in electrical construction read Electrical Contractor’s articles on lighting, LEDs, and more. Learn about up-and-coming news, big construction projects, and best practices for electrical construction and engineering.
Three key articles from Electrical Contractor:
- Tech Trends for Parking and Property
- Construction Saw Modest Wins, Some Losses in April
- Multistate Coalition Develops an Action Plan for Electrifying Vehicle Fleets
15. Electrical Engineering Portal
EEP provides technical information to engineers in the electrical engineering field. With a paid membership, you can access more technical articles and courses through EEP.
Three key articles from Electrical Engineering Portal:
- The essentials of standby power systems you should install before the blackout happens
- What makes cybersecurity an indispensable part of modern digital substations?
- Learn how to design an optical communication system for a transmission line network
16. Electrical Engineering Resource
Electrical Engineering Resource is a blog run by ABB Electrification. Here, you’ll learn about critical power, renewable energy, space savings, and machine safety, among other interesting electrical engineering topics.
Three key articles from Electrical Engineering Resource:
- Getting inside the humble transformer
- 3 Approaches to reducing the danger and damage of arc flash
- Control panel, motor control, selection made easy
While its website might look a little dated, ElectricNet actually provides some of the best regulatory news coverage for engineers. Check out this blog to learn about the latest news as well as upcoming regulations that may affect your designs.
Three key articles from ElectricNet:
- Westinghouse Expands Global Energy Storage Technology
- AES Announces Deals To Provide 450 MW Of Renewable Energy To Amazon
- Agile Fractal Grid Selects InterSystems IRIS Data Platform To Support Delivery Of Clean, Renewable And Secure Electricity On A Global Scale
18. Electronic Design
Emerging technologies have a tremendous impact on engineering. Check out Electronic Design’s articles to learn about different components, industry insights, and industry news.
Three key articles from Electronic Design:
- NI Taps Modular Hardware to Help Scale Up Production Testing
- 11 Myths of Edge Computing
- AMR Sensors: A Top Option for High-Precision Position Measurements
19. Electronic Product Design & Test
EPDT is an industry-leading resource that features innovative products and features. Read their blog to learn more about global product news or access their expert surveys.
Three key articles from Electronic Product Design & Test:
- Innovative ‘smart socks’ could help millions living with dementia
- DALI-2 certification supports interoperability & sustainable lighting
- Royal Mail plans to ‘open up the skies’ with fleet of 500 drones & 50 new postal delivery drone routes
20. Electronics Lab
Do you rely on open-source hardware to do your job? If so, Electronics Lab has plenty of products and resources to help you do more work, faster. Read their blogs to learn about the latest news in open hardware.
Three key articles from Electronics Lab:
- Rohde & Schwarz Enhances R&S RTP High-Performance Oscilloscope for Even Better Signal Integrity in Real Time
- Seeed Fusion — Beat the Chip Shortage with Seeed Fusion and Seeed Products
- Bridgetek IDM2040-7A Intelligent Display Module
21. Electronics Weekly
Electronics Weekly provides the latest news on electrical technology, components, products, and design. Read their blog to learn more about the latest industry events, awards, and best practices.
Three key articles from Electronics Weekly:
- Google releases its first Android 13 Developer Preview
- A 3d printed stand for Raspberry Pi and an SSD
- Viewpoint: How Bluetooth LE Audio can empower the hearing-loss community
Electropages publish articles that cover all things electronic. Visit this blog to learn more about the global electronics components industry and how it affects your workflow.
Three key articles from Electropages:
- Are Reversible Power-to-Gas Systems an Economically Feasible Storage Medium?
- New IIoT ransomware exposes industry hardware vulnerabilities
- Mitsubishi announces world’s first satellite laser terminal
Whether it’s mechanical or civil, EnggStudy breaks engineering concepts down into digestible articles. This resource is ideal for college students who want to learn about the latest engineering software and best practices.
Three key articles from EnggStudy:
- What is NPN and PNP in PLC? Which is better?
- Mechanical Engineering Project Ideas for College Students 2022
- 10 Best Mechanical Engineering Design Software 2022
24. Engineer Live
Engineer Live is a free magazine and technology news website that caters to engineers. Check out their website for product news and opinion pieces that touch on energy, IoT, and other cutting-edge topics.
Three key articles from Engineer Live:
- A Breath of Fresh Compressed Air
- Creating The Connected Mine
- Tackling Brain Drain In The Mining Sector
25. Engineered Systems
Engineered Systems Magazine provides engineers with the latest news and safety resources. Check out this blog to learn more about energy efficiency for mechanical engineering projects.
Three key articles from Engineered Systems:
- The Politics of Pollution
- Fire Damper Inspection Compliance
- AAON Announces Cash Dividend, Promotion, New Leadership
Engineerine is an online blog tailored to mechanical engineering education. Here, you’ll discover easy-to-read opinion pieces, how-tos, and industry news.
Three key articles from Engineerine:
- Getting To Net-Zero Within Reach: The Japanese Carbon Capture Method
- The Secret Behind Not Flying Over South Pole!
- This is Why the Russian Fighter Jets are an Easy Target For the US Stinger Missiles
27. Engineering Choice
Engineering Choice covers topics ranging from energy efficiency to automotive. Consult this blog to learn more about the ins and outs of mechanical engineering, manufacturing, theory, and more.
Three key articles from Engineering Choice:
- How To Replace A Steam Radiator?
- What Metals Are Used In Electric Vehicles?
- What Is Tennessine?- It’s Element, Uses, And Facts
Engineering.com is the go-to resource for news, networking, and articles for the engineering community. On Engineering.com, you’ll learn about industry events, innovative designs, and awards.
Three key articles from Engineering.com:
- What Is LOD, or Level of Detail?
- NASA Awards $1.2 Million to BIG Idea Challenge Finalists
- Autodesk Officially Moves HQ to San Francisco but Shrinks Bay Area Footprint
The Electric Power Research Institute writes valuable R&D resources for electrical engineering. It’s an excellent resources for learning about the latest innovations in electricity generation.
Three key articles from EPRI:
- Using the Energy Transition to Accelerate Equity
- The Role of Thermal Storage in a Decarbonizing World
- A Holistic View of Transmission System Resilience
30. Extru Design
Are you involved in manufacturing products? Check out Extru Design’s blog to learn more about CAD, mechanical engineering, and other essential manufacturing topics.
Three key articles from Extru Design:
- Powder Metallurgy Process
- Different Manufacturing Processes for Plastic Products
- What is Grinding Process?
Fractory is a platform that allows engineers to do custom CNC via the cloud, but its free resources are also very robust. Read the Fractory blog to learn everything there is to know about laser cutting and metalwork.
Three key articles from Fractory:
32. ICI Electrical Engineering Blog
ICI Electrical Engineering’s blog focuses on the intersection of cybersecurity and engineering. Learn about cyber threats, resilient architecture, and cloud hosting to design sturdier solutions that last.
Three key articles from ICI Electrical Engineering Blog:
- What exactly is operational technology, and how does it differ from IT?
- Cloud SCADA
- Quick cybersecurity checks for your ICS/OT System
33. IEEE Spectrum
This blog is run by IEEE, an organization that specializes in technological innovations. Check out IEEE’s latest updates on innovations in 3D printing, automotive, fiber, and more.
Three key articles from IEEE Spectrum:
- An Undersea Cable Could Fill In the Gaps on Fiber-Optic Maps
- Hollow-Core Fiber Beams a Kilowatt of Laser Power Up to a Kilometer
- Xerox Parc’s Engineers On How They Invented The Future — And How Xerox Lost It
34. Institution of Mechanical Engineers
The Institution of Mechanical Engineers shares inspiring content designed to get engineers excited about the possibilities in their field. Learn about both engineering and industry news and how they affect your work as an engineer.
Three key articles from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers:
- Urban canyons could make sonic booms longer
- Engineering extremes: Innovation on the rails
- Air pollution exposure increases risk of severe Covid
35. Interesting Engineering
Interesting Engineering is more than a blog: it’s an online community that combines engineering, science, and technology. You’ll find articles here covering everything from medical breakthroughs to AI to cloning.
Three key articles from Interesting Engineering:
- The Siberian tundra could disappear in 500 years, and release 1,400 gigatons of carbon
- In a world-first, Chinese scientists clone pigs by only using AI
- The world’s largest solar-powered steam plant will be built in Saudi Arabia
LearnMech provides a robust number of resources for mechanical engineering. If you’re new to the field (or just need a refresher on certain topics), visit LearnMech to cover your bases.
Three key articles from LearnMech:
- Hydraulic seals – Definition, Types, Diagram , Function, Failure, Application
- Pressure Vessels – Parts, Design, Application, Types, Material, Diagram
- Knuckle Joint – Parts, Diagram, Design Calculation, Applications
37. Machine Design
OEMs, designers, and engineers rely on Machine Design for its technical information. This blog will teach you about data, additive manufacturing, LiDAR, and much more.
Three key articles from Machine Design:
- 4 Tips for Securing Industrial IoT Networks
- FMCW LiDAR Gives the Gift of Sight
- The Material Changes in Additive Manufacturing
38. Mech N Flow
Run by a team of passionate engineers, Mech N Flow covers mechanical engineering and thermodynamics. Whether you need resources to ace a certification exam or a refresher on certain CAD features, this blog covers it all.
Three key articles from Mech N Flow:
- Introduction to Turbulence Modeling
- Basics of a Wind Turbine
- GD&T – Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
39. Mechanical Business
Mechanical Business is a trade magazine for mechanical engineers. It’s a valuable resource for engineers to stay on top of industry news and trends.
Three key articles from Mechanical Business:
- Achieving outdoor air compliance
- The promise of hydronic systems in building decarbonization
- The risks of sizing plumbing systems using Hunter’s curve
40. Military & Aerospace Electronics
Do you work in the military or aviation space? Check out Military & Aerospace Electronics to stay updated on AI, supersonic travel, 5G connectivity, and more.
Three key articles from Military & Aerospace Electronics:
- Red Cat Holdings rolls out its first multi-drone system for public safety, government, and military
- Inside the race to master supersonic air travel
- How next-gen IT solutions could curb major pain points of aviation ecosystems
41. Nearby Engineers
NY Engineers is an engineering company, but it runs a surprisingly robust blog, too. Check out their blog to learn about energy, manufacturing, EVs, and other innovative topics.
Three key articles from Nearby Engineers:
- The Value of Energy Efficiency Measures and Solar Power in 2022
- Our 7-step plan for installing EV charging stations in your multi-family residential building’s parking
- How Energy Efficiency and Demand Response Help the Grid During Summer
42. New Electronics
If your work depends on electronics, give New Electronics a follow. Their blog covers news related to electrical components, robotics, and microchips.
Three key articles from New Electronics:
- Robot services launched with over 50 farms
- Vicor opens industry’s first ‘ChiP’ fabrication facility
- Die-to-wafer self-assembly breakthrough delivers accuracy and throughput
43. NIST Manufacturing Innovation Blog
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) manages this blog to share the latest updates in technology, compliance standards, and measurement science.
Three key articles from NIST Manufacturing Innovation Blog:
- Strengthening U.S. Manufacturing: Manufacturing USA® and the Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- Cybersecurity and Industry 4.0 – What You Need to Know
- Cybersecurity for the Manufacturing Sector: Reduce Data Integrity Breaches with NIST SP 1800-10
44. Nuts and Volts
Although it’s largely targeted toward hobbyists, Nuts and Volts has a lot of helpful information for engineers, too. This fun and engaging blog discusses microcontrollers, electronics, and circuits.
Three key articles from Nuts and Volts:
SciTechDaily features a lot of information, but its biomedical engineering posts will be of particular interest to engineers. It’s the perfect way to learn about innovations in medical devices and the clever engineering that makes them possible.
Three key articles from SciTechDaily:
- Smart Pacemaker Harmlessly Dissolves in the Body After It’s No Longer Needed
- Cells Take Out the Trash Before They Divide To Give Their Offspring a Clean Slate
- Smart LED Contact Lenses for Treating and Preventing Eye Disease
46. Simply Smarter Circuitry Blog
Circuit Specialists runs the Simply Smarter Circuitry Blog, which provides how-to guides, reviews, and product-related news.
Three key articles from Simply Smarter Circuitry Blog:
- 5 Steps to Calculate the Resistor value for LEDs
- From Prototype on PBB-272B To a Finished Product
- Build Police LED Flashing Circuit on Power Breadboard PBB-272B
47. The Digital Twin Blog
Trusted simulation software company Maya manages The Digital Twin Blog. Check out their posts to learn about data analytics, multiphysics, and digitization as a whole.
Three key articles from The Digital Twin Blog:
- Constant Change: An Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing Perspective
- Benefits and Challenges of Electrification & Digitalization
- Data Analytics & AI Services for Manufacturing
48. The Engineer
The Engineer is a blog that covers a broad swath of engineering topics. Whether you work in chemical, automotive, electronics, or robotics, this engineering blog has something for everyone.
Three key articles from The Engineer:
- Energy strategy aims for domestic supply of low carbon energy
- How a UK software firm is helping manufacturers repel the cyber threat
- Late great engineers: Atom bomb pioneer and games designer William Higinbotham
49. The Institute
Are you an IEEE member? If so, reading The Institute regularly could help you make the most of the IEEE’s membership and offerings. Plus, you’ll get valuable insights into the latest technologies.
Three key articles from The Institute:
- Remembering 1982 IEEE President Robert Larson
- Inventor of the First AI System That Could Read Handwriting Dies at 72
- Startup Makes It Easier to Detect Fires With IoT and Flir Cameras
TrueCADD is a smaller site, but it shares valuable knowledge for AEC professionals, including mechanical engineers. Visit this blog to learn more about construction-specific issues in engineering.
Three key articles from TrueCADD:
- How BIM Services Improve Prefabricated and Precast Construction
- How outsourcing CAD drafting improves efficiency for retail furniture manufacturers
- How Design Automation helps Metal Fabricators Reduce Manufacturing Costs
This curated list includes everything from informative engineering blogs like All About Circuits and SciTechDaily to blogs from industry organizations like ASME, EPRI, and the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. A robust collection of resources for aspiring engineers, students, and experienced professionals to stay on top of the latest trends and innovations, news, and best practices, this list includes dozens of engineering blogs worth following to stay on top of the field.